Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Season's Readings

               Every Christmas I re-read Dylan Thomas' A Child's Christmas in Wales.  I love this story of a boy's Christmas memories.  

 




           Recently I discovered a new favorite Christmas book, Truce: The Day the Soldiers Stopped Fighting, by Jim Murphy.  This is the true story of how, during the fighting of World War I, English and German soldiers defied orders and agreed to have a truce for four hours on December 25th.  The soldiers met in No Man's Land, the space between their front lines, shook hands, chatted and wished each other Merry Christmas.  Hundreds of other truces were arranged along the front on Christmas day. What an amazing demonstration of "Peace on earth and goodwill towards men."   

          I recommend this book.  It gives the reader lots to think about in this time of seemingly endless wars in parts of our world.


         What's your favorite Christmas book?
  

        However you celebrate the season, I wish you peace, --and a new year filled with great books to read!

Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment