Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson

I keep thinking I’ll post a film of myself giving a booktalk. I don’t know why I haven’t. It’s almost the end of summer! I think I need someone to come in and hold the video camera.

Instead, I will write out my booktalk.

Small as an Elephant
Jennifer Richard Jacobson
Published by Candlewick Press, 2011

Jack love elephants. His first real memory is seeing an elephant at a circus.

Jack was hoping that on their way to their campsite at Acadia National Park, his mom would stop by York Wild Animal Kingdom so he could see Lydia, the park’s elephant.

That is what caused the argument between mother and son. This vacation was supposed to be really fun. A great get-away before Jack starts school. Yet on that first morning when Jack wakes up and walks out of his tent, he discovers his mother has abandoned him. She took the food and left Jack with about $12. That was the money he had saved for souvenirs!

I wasn’t sure I’d like this book because I thought it would be really depressing, but it wasn’t. I was hooked from page 1.

“Elephants can sense danger. They’re able to detect an approaching tsunami or earthquake before it hits. Unfortunately, Jack did not have this talent. The day his life was turned completely upside down, he was caught unaware.”

The story follows Jack as he makes his way from Acadia National Park back to his home in Boston, hoping no one will notice him. All he has for company on his long journey is a small toy elephant. He keeps himself company by remembering facts about elephants.

I’ve been a big fan of Jacobson’s ever since I read Winnie Dancing on her Own. Jacobson is a gifted writer.

What have you been reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment